Monday, March 14, 2011

My First Cake!


So, as if I don't already have plenty of things going on, I decided to sign up for a cake decorating class. The first class was last week and our homework was to bake two 8" rounds and prepare butter cream frosting to bring to class so that we can decorate the cake with the assistance of the instructor. Well, I couldn't wait so I decided to try and decorate it with the tools that she taught us in class.



Here are two 8" rounds of white cake. I'm really not a baker so I thought it would probably be best to stick with a box mix until I master the decorating, then I will try making different recipes from scratch. 



I decided to fill the cake with chocolate pudding which the instructor motioned was one of the easiest fillings. Once again the pudding is not homemade, but rather a pudding cup made by Jello!



Once filled I added the second layer. I think next time I may try to make a torte and have 3 layers of filling. 




Here is my cake after I frosted it. It's not perfect but I think it is pretty good for my first try. The frosting was a little too thick and wasn't as smooth as it should have been. But it taste great so that's what matters, right?




And here is my finished product, isn't it so pretty! We only learned how to use a star tip to make stars so I was limited to how I could decorate it, but I think this is comparable to what you would find in the store. I think this is pretty good for my first try! We will be cutting into it tonight after dinner so hopefully it's as good as it looks!



While I was at it being a baker I decided to bake some white bread for Texas Toast (BBQ dinner) and French Toast (breakfast). Here is my dough....



Before the second rise.



After the second rise.



The finished product!

Well thanks for stopping by. I will have some cards for you tomorrow (gasp)! I know, I've been absent for a while but I will continue to try to be better about that!


No comments:

Post a Comment